As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Analog Four sub-bass (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Analog Four sub-bass
Chain Chomp
Re:Analog Four sub-bass 10 Years, 10 Months ago
There is nothing wrong with your unit. I did a lot of tests on several units. There are a few things that causes this behaviour:

the a4 outputs a lot around 40hz and lacks at 60hz on most settings. That's why mixers and other equipment display a lot of output, while not hearing very much.

the basic waves have a shorter pulsewidth in the lower registers. This makes sounds thinner. This can be somewhat fixed with shaping but the waves never stretch over a full cycle.

the basic waves are 80% of the time below the 0dc line. With a bit of overdrive (25%) the waves become more symmetric.

the filters (especially filter 1) make huge drops in volume when sweeping. Some synths like the mono Lancet keep the same volume while sweeping, making it more useful for synth and especially bass sounds.

I made a comparison vid of the raw waves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4jytb3gYHE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

because of the big volume differences in the a4 sweeps, it starts a little less loud, but that evens out when the filter opens.
  The topic has been locked.
I believe it says right in the manual that filter 1 is designed to self-resonate at higher frequencies.

As already said, you'll want filter 2 for making sub-bass sine waves, using filter tracking of course.

The thing that bothers me is that filter tracking on the A4 jumps, it doesn't slide with the oscillators/notes (even though they're turned down to only make a sine on filter 2). I wish they would change that.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
Thanks for that update sbsix, I hadn't got around to recabling things yet (A4 & OT haven't been plumbed into my computer lately) but what you describe exactly explains what I'm experiencing.

Well, looks like I have to keep using one audio track on the OT for bass then. Still love the A4, but it's a real pity that it falls short in this area.
Boo
Add a good little bass synth to the OT + A4 combo & the world is yours
Chain Chomp
Exactly what johnny says... I can really vouch for the mono Lancet, but a minitaur would do great too I think.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
That is a tasty-sounding little beast...
Boo
Mono Lancet here too. Highly recommend it. Produces very satisfying moog & sub bass (Triangle osc) sounds.
Go to top Post Reply